Lansing Model Railroad Club
Home of the Hogsback and Southern Railroad
| Train Show
| MA Tower
| Contact Us
Donations, Purchases, and Wishlist
The Lansing Model Railroad Club accepts donations of railroad equipment,
railroad artifacts, books, model railroad items, and cash.
We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit tax-exempt educational organization. All
donations are tax-deductible as charitable contributions.
Please contact a Lansing Model Railroad Club
officer for more information on donations. We are sorry but we no longer accept magazines.
IRS Information on Donating
Purchasing, Sales, and Recycling
From time to time, we are contacted by people looking to sell model train
items and other railroadiana. The Lansing Model Railroad Club rarely purchases items because of our limited space and resources, however let us offer some
suggestions on selling or recycling your train items:
- Donate to Lansing Model Railroad Club because we are a good cause and you may get a tax write-off!
Contact us a with descriptions of the items you are selling. Please be sure
to include scale, make, descriptions, asking price, and your contact information. Photos are also helpfull.
The club will circulate the list to the membership and friends.
- Sell your item(s) at the Lansing Model Railroad Club annual Train Show. Either buy a table to sell your item(s) yourself or sell them to our many
vendors who attend our show. Many vendors are looking to buy or trade model trains or related items!
- Liberty Coins in Lansing appraises and buys select model train items.
- If these suggestions do not work for you, there's always E-Bay!
Please do not throw away your model trains or railroadiana. There's always a way to find them a good home! For further information or questions please contact one of the club officers
The Lansing Model Railroad Club does not provide appraisal services for model railroad items, antique toys, railroad related artifacts, and etc.
We recommend the following:
- Attend our annual Model Train Show and Sale to discuss values with the dealers.
- Check our Interchange page and scroll to "Michigan Hobby Shops" and "Out of state Hobby Shops" to contact a store in your area. Your local hobby shop may be able to appraise your items or have leads on an appraiser who specializes in model railroad items.
- EBay is a great resource to let the buyers determine fair market value or one can search past auctions to see how much an item sold for.
- Price Guides are published that can help you determine the value of some popular model tains. One example is Greenberg's “Pocket Price Guides” which are published annually. There are separate volumes for Lionel (1901 -
present) and American Flyer (1946 - present) trains. These guides are available
through Amazon.com or your local hobby shop. Both guides are easy to follow and
provide market values.
Support Lansing Model Railroad Club Inc. when you shop or sell on eBay. This is made possible by the eBay for Charity program which has helped eBay buyers and sellers donate hundreds of millions of dollars to thousands of charities (and we're one of them!)
- MAKE US YOUR FAVORITE! First, personalize your shopping experience to benefit our organization by making us your favorite charity on eBay.
- DONATE TO US IN EBAY CHECKOUT: By making us your favorite, you will automatically see Lansing Model Railroad Club Inc. as your preferred charity when you buy anything on eBay, making it easy to add $1 or more upon checkout.
- SELL YOUR ITEMS TO BENEFIT US: Last but not least, help us instead of a thrift store: sell your used items on eBay and donate as little as 10% (1% for vehicles) or up to 100% of your sale to benefit us. When you sell, simply look for the eBay for Charity signature blue and yellow ribbon next to "Make a donation". Check out the benefits you'll receive:
- eBay will waive your Final Value Fees to the extent you donate. (e.g. donate 20% and see 20% of your Final Value Fees waived)
- The tax credit from all of your donations is yours to keep.
- Items that benefit charity sell better, as buyers trust sellers that support charity more.
- Help the world by upcycling/recycling. Plenty of items that might otherwise end up in a landfill can be readily used by others that may not have the means to buy something new.
- Feel good for doing good.
- SELL YOUR USED VEHICLE TO BENEFIT US: Unlike other charity auto programs, you can sell your used vehicle on eBay and donate up to 100% to benefit Lansing Model Railroad Club Inc.. This often can result in a larger donation than the $500 or less you may receive from a dedicated charity auto program. Sell and donate the proceeds today.
The Lansing Model Railroad Club is interested in obtaining and restoring items
of historical railroad interest and items that promote the operation of the organization and furtherance of it's mission. Here is a list of items we are would like to acquire:
- Documents and historical accounts related to the Millett Depot or MA Tower
- Caboose (preferably Grand Trunk Western, C&O, Michigan Central, or New York Central heritage)
- Timetables, rulebooks, and other railroad literature
- Interlocking panels and machines, telegraph instruments, and any other items from or similar to what was used in MA Tower
- Railroad ties, rail, and related hardware sufficient to lay approximately 50 feet of track